Below is a list of articles related to increasing value in evidence synthesis. It focuses on automation techniques such as text-mining and machine learning.
There is a separate, non-automation list: List of articles
- Reducing workload in systematic review preparation using automated citation classification Cohen AM et al. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006 Mar-Apr;13(2):206-19.
- Text Classification on Imbalanced Data: Application to Systematic Review Automation. Yimin Ma. MSc Thesis. 2007
- Cross-topic learning for work prioritization in systematic review creation and update Cohen AM et al. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 Sep-Oct;16(5):690-704.
- Semi-automated screening of biomedical citations for systematic reviews Wallace BC et al. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010 Jan 26;11:55.
- Towards automating the initial screening phase of a systematic review Bekhuis T et al. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160(Pt 1):146-50.
- Building Systematic Reviews Using Automatic Text Classification Techniques. Frunza O et al. COLING ’10 Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics. Association for Computational Linguistics Stroudsburg, PA, USA ©2010
- Applications of text mining within systematic reviews Thomas J et al. Res Synth Methods. 2011 Mar;2(1):1-14.
- Machine Learning Methods in Systematic Reviews Rand Corporation, 2012.
- The automation of systematic reviews Tsafnat G et al. BMJ 2013;346:f13
- A new iterative method to reduce workload in systematic review process Jonnalagadda S et al. Int J Comput Biol Drug Des. 2013;6(1-2):5-17.
- ‘Clustering’ documents automatically to support scoping reviews of research: a case study. Stansfield C et al. Research Synthesis Methods, 4 (3). pp. 230-241.
- Pinpointing needles in giant haystacks: use of text mining to reduce impractical screening workload in extremely large scoping reviews. Shemilt I et al. Research Synthesis Methods Volume 5, Issue 1.
- Trip Rapid Reviews – systematic reviews in five minutes Liberating the Literature Blog, October 2013
- Diffusion of innovation in systematic review methodology: Why is study selection not yet assisted by automation? Thomas J. OA Evidence-Based Medicine 2013 Oct 21;1(2):12.
- Systematic review automation technologies Tsafnat G et al. Syst Rev. 2014 Jul 9;3:74.
- Citation networks of related trials are often disconnected: implications for bidirectional citation searches Robinson KA et al. J Clin Epidemiol. 2014 Jul;67(7):793-9.
- Spá: A Web-Based Viewer for Text Mining in Evidence Based Medicine. Kuiper J. et al. In Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery in Databases: European Conference, ECML PKDD 2014, Nancy, France, September 15-19, 2014. Proceedings, Part III. (pp. 452-455)
- Reducing systematic review workload through certainty-based screening Miwa M et al. J Biomed Inform. 2014 Oct;51:242-53.
- Designing Efficient Systematic Reviews Using Economical Allocation, Creation and Synthesis of Medical Evidence. Scarpati M. RAND Corporation. 2014
- Using text mining for study identification in systematic reviews: a systematic review of current approaches O’Mara-Eves A et al. Syst Rev. 2015 Jan 14;4:5
- Automating data extraction in systematic reviews: a systematic review. Jonnalagadda SR et al. Systematic Reviews 2015, 4:78
- RobotReviewer: evaluation of a system for automatically assessing bias in clinical trials. Marshall IJ et al. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Jun 22. pii: ocv044. (preprint available as full text from KCL site)
- Automating risk of bias assessment for clinical trials. Marshall IJ et al. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2015 Jul;19(4):1406-12. (Full-text PDF of book chapter with same title and authors available here).
- Leveraging Advanced Analytics Techniques for Medical Systematic Review Update. P Timsina, OF El-Gayar, J Liu – System Sciences (HICSS), 2015
- Supporting systematic reviews using LDA-based document representations. Mo Y et al. Systematic Reviews 2015, 4:172
- Human and machine effort in Project Transform: how intersecting technologies will help us to identify studies reliably, efﬁciently and at scale. Thomas J et al. Cochrane Methods. Page 37-41 Cochrane DB Syst Rev 2015 Suppl1:1–72
- Machine learning to assist risk-of-bias assessments in systematic reviews. Millard LAC et al. Int. J. Epidemiol. (2015) First published online: December 8, 2015
- EPC Methods: An Exploration of the Use of TextMining Software in Systematic Reviews. AHRQ Publication No. 16-EHC023-EF. April 2016
One thought on “List of articles (automation, text-mining etc.)”